Mere Historical Society

Since its founding in 1972, Mere Historical Society has been encouraging the study of history in general and of Mere and district in particular. We do this by running:

  • evening lectures during the winter months in the Grove Building (below)
  • informal morning talks given by members on subjects of particular interest to them
  • visits to places of historic interest during the summer months
Mere Library Museum line drawing Anderson

Mere Library and Museum (Dr Colin Anderson)

At its first meeting in Mere Library (right) on 20th April 1972, more than 80 people enrolled, paying an annual subscription of 50p. Now more than 40 years on, the Society has a membership in excess of 100. That meeting grew out of the work of an ad-hoc Local History Committee, who had researched, written and published ‘The Story of Mere’ (Blackmore Press, 1958).

The original committee members were: Miss Joyce Rutter, Mrs Norah Rutter, Mr Fenton Rutter, Mrs Christine Wallis, Mrs Ethel M. Morris, Mr Richard Coward and Dr David Longbourne.

To get a flavour of what the Society is doing now, click on ‘What’s On’ above for full programme of events for the current season.

The Grove Building

The Grove Building